Tuesday 25 October 2011


I was thinking of making a cushion for my friend's daughter, Julia. I thought it would be cute to do her initial for that personal touch but wanted to make it according to my style, which conisists of bright colours and well, felt! I have always preferred handstitching to using the zig zag sewing machine technique for applique so decided to hand stitch a felt J onto a plain soft cotton background.

It seemed lacking once finished so I decided to incorporate a design from my new Japanese Embroidery Book, which has the cutest designs ever! I just love the sketchy, scrappy style of embroidery popular in Japan. ( How cute is that hot air balloon!)

I couldnt find my iron transfer pencil so tried the method of sewing it with the tracing paper attached to the fabric and then tearing it off and I was pleasantly surprised. I will be definately doing it in this way from now on. Its less fiddly and the drawing is clearer than when its transferred onto the fabric with an iron.

I have to say I am pretty happy how it turned out and cant wait to try out different designs. I would do a few things differently -perhaps using bondaweb when sewing the initial on, might have helped a tad!





No comments:

Post a Comment